Nov 23, 2011

An Ethical Nudge


We are reading more and more about ethical business.

We are becoming ethical consumers. At least I hope we are.

A business whose products and services are made ethically with minimal harm to people, animals and the environment.

Would you want to purchase from anywhere else?

I know I wouldn’t.

I am proud to be a positive buyer. If its cruelty-free (I‘m vegetarian), recycled, organic, biodynamic, fair trade or re-used then chances are it will be in my basket. I shop at Commonsense Organics here in Wellington and I try to get most of my fresh produce from the market (locally grown). Sometimes the need to go to New World (a supermarket) is required though!

I became a vegetarian again at 32 (I was one from ages 12-18) because I could simply not be so two-faced as to state that LOVE is my highest value and then dig into a bloody steak or make a vat of chili with mincemeat.

I do however (and I am so ashamed to admit this) still occasionally wear my leather jacket!!!! I know it is awful and yet it is one jacket that seems to go well with lots of different outfits.

Does this make me a fraud? Don’t answer that…

So we are becoming more aware of who to do business with and who to avoid like the plague.

For 2012 I would like to know more about how I can buy more ethically and I would urge you to do some digging too.

If we all move from cruelty to cruelty-free and caged to free range then we can take a step in an ethical direction.

I’ll have to re-think the leather jacket…

Photo above Creative Commons: Andy Roberts Photos

0 comments: